Monday, January 24, 2005

My MacGyver Book

So about three years ago my agent told me to come up with a good idea for a book in the vein of the Worst Case Scenario Guide. It happened to be around Thanksgiving so I went to my parent's house in Illinois and did what any good child would do, hid away in the den with its giant TV and Satellite TV. But it was the Tivo that got me. My dad had recorded nearly every MacGyver episode on Tivo. Suddenly, it clicked. I'd write a book about how MacGyver did his cool tricks. I mean, it's not like I could sit there and enjoy the show's incredibly bad dialogue.

So I pitched the book to my agent and he gave me the go ahead. And I started working on it. Then the agent dropped me because the travel book he had signed me for wasn't selling. Check out www.rogues-guide.com if you're curious about it. The next agent I got, didn't go for the MacGyver book so I put it in a drawer half-written. Then I went to Brazil, for awhile, and some other places too. That took about a year. During that time, the new agent had dropped me, and somehow it didn't faze me as I was sitting on Copacabana Beach sipping from a coconut at the time.

Anyway, I got back to the States, tanned and deeply in debt, and found the dusty MacGyver manuscript. I read it and thought this is pretty good, if it just had illustrations...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home